The Communications Ministry Team is pleased to announce the following individuals are participating in the 2012 Iowa State Fair:
- Cody Laughton showed sheep Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Cody is a member of the United Methodist Church of LeMars, Iowa and has a bench outside of the 4-H Building.
- Mary Davis will be showing garden vegetables for the fifth year. She is a member of Trinity United Methodist Church of Hazelton.
- McCade Gowdy has two 4-H exhibits this year. McCade’s tree planting project advanced to the Jasper County Fair is in the 4H Building in addition to an education exhibit on wind turbines that will be presented on Wednesday. He attends Hope UMC in Marshalltown.
- Luke Frisbee has created a colorful stole out of duct tape as a 4H project. It is on display in the 4H Building. Luke is a sophomore and a member of First United Methodist Church in Atlantic.
- Delaney Howell is the Luisa County Fair Queen and will be at the Iowa State Fair participating in the State Fair Queen contest. She is a member of Columbus Junction United Methodist Church.
- Beula Lee showed her brood of broiler chicken on the first morning os the State Fair and received a Purple Ribbon, she is 11 years old. Beula and her family are members of St. Luke United Methodist Church in Newton.
- Margaret Klink has a photo on display at the Fair this year. She is the wife of Pastor Charles Klink, Cedar Falls First United Methodist Church.
- Roy Kraft has an observation hive and has also entered honey into the fair this year. Both items are in the Varied Industries Building. Roy is a member of Clarion First United Methodist Church.
- Jodi Kraft entered a quilt into Fabric and Threads, located in the Varied Industries Building. Jodi is a member of Clarion First United Methodist Church
- Connie Dicks helped paint an ice cream cone labeled “Grundy County Barn Quilt.” Connie is a member of Grundy Center United Methodist Church.
- Keith and Marie Henry will receive an award for their involvement with Animal Agriculture. They have assisted several youth in their community with livestock projects and Marie has shown tremendous leadership with the 4H Club (Shooting Stars), FFA as well as other community activities. Keith and Marie are members of Farmers Chapel United Methodist Church in Indianola.
- Jerry Swinton is the chairperson of the perennial garden within the Discovery Garden. The Discovery Garden is adjacent to the Agricultural Building.
- Cameryn Schafer submitted two 4-H projects this year: an entomology collection and abstract art. She is a member of Woodbine United Methodist Church.
- Ankeny First United Methodist Church’s Praise Band will perform at the Fair on August 17th. The band will perform a Praise and Worship Concert on the Bud Stage beginning at 10:00 a.m.
- West Des Moines United Methodist Church continues its tradition of the corner "restaurant" near the sheep barn.
-A number of United Methodists have entered and won ribbons in food competitions, including Lana Ross (Center Chapel UMC), Virginia Ogan (Osceola UMC), Marjorie Rogers (Center Chapel UMC), Amy Fuson (Indianola First UMC), Emma Whitlock (Indianola First UMC), Louise Cothron (Afton UMC), and Hester Derscheid (Elston UMC).
Please click here to view the 2012 Iowa State Fair photo gallery.