Submitted by Wespath
In a new video
, Wespath's Martin Bauer and Dale Jones offer easy-to-understand answers to the complex, multi-layered questions related to pension plan funding and the withdrawal liability payment. Understanding the nuances of long-term pension funding is critical as some local churches and UMC clergy consider disaffiliation.
We encourage you to watch this video and share it with others in your conference.
This 18-minute video addresses these and other questions:
The video is here
- Are the United Methodist clergy pension plans "fully funded"?
- What does fully funded actually mean when it comes to pension liabilities?
- How are long-term pension obligations calculated?
- What is the difference between a fully funded plan on a funding basis compared to a market basis? How can the plans be fully funded on a funding basis but not fully funded on a market basis?
- Why is a disaffiliating church required to make the withdrawal liability payment to the annual conference it is leaving?
- Is the withdrawal liability payment an arbitrary or punitive obstacle to disaffiliation?
and posted to Wespath's disaffiliations webpage.
A podcast version
is also available. Please feel free to share these links via social media.