The latest information and inspiration.Subscribe
Position Purpose, Authority, and Accountability Under the general supervision of the pastor, the Music Director (Chancel Choir Director, Bell Choir Director, and Praise Band Director) is responsible to perform music selections professionally during designated worship services. He/She shall function independently within parameters of established policies, procedures, and guidelines. Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Formal or informal training and/or education in music theory, performance, conducting, arranging, and composing within their duties
• Direct bell choir, chancel choir, praise band and small groups.
• Choose music for above groups.
• Work with Pastor and Worship Committee on schedules.
• Arrange special music.
• The Music Director will perform duties with the bell choir, chancel choir, and praise band from the weekend after Labor Day through the weekend before Memorial Day with one rehearsal per week and Sunday services.
• The Music Director will get one Sunday off per month (Sept. – May), without a salary deduction and summers off, though will coordinate music for services 52 weeks per year.
• The Music Director shall select all choral anthems to be sung by the chancel choir, played by the bell choir, and performed by the praise band. Music should follow the theme or the lessons appointed for the day. Music selections shall be made in consultation with the Pastor and given to the organist or pianist, secretary and pastor well in advance of their rehearsal and performance by the choir.
• The Music Director shall maintain a music library by purchasing music and music supplies for the choir program or work with the music staff to maintain a well-organized music choral/vocal/instrumental library for the church. All expenditures shall be under the budgetary control of the Worship Committee.
• Enlist, train and coordinate the volunteer leadership for all choirs and musical groups. Encourage a diverse music ministry with offerings in a variety of style and delivery.
• Help to recruit volunteers to serve in the various musical ministries of the church.
• The Music Director will work directly with the Pastor in establishing goals and long-term objectives that provide for an overall consistence in the Music Department.
• Upon request, lead hymn singing or other worship service music during worship services.
• Experience and skill in conducting and singing with church choirs and/or community ensembles.
• College degree in music or a Junior or Senior student of music.
• Experience as a church musician is preferred.
• Strong musical ability is required, with an understanding of church music repertoire.
• Ability to work in harmony with others is required.
• Training in vocal/choral/instrumental technique and performance, with a demonstrable understanding of such technique and skill, is required.
• Understanding of how to organize and plan for a music ministry within the congregation in conjunction and cooperation with others.
• Salary is based on qualifications, skills, abilities, and experience.
• Salary shall be divided by nine (9) months, September – May. Will still provide music for summer services.
Address: East 12th & Guthrie Des Moines IA 50316
Phone: (515) 262-3734
Email: Click to email
Attached file(s): view file