The 42nd Annual Mission Ingathering will be held on Saturday, November 6, 2021. Our purpose is to show the love of Christ to the world’s people by ministering to their needs. Our times have changed. The methods and means may change. The work of being in mission continues.
Ingathering 2020 brought many changes, and some of those are continuing. Our partnership with Midwest Mission Distribution Center grows stronger and stronger. Be sure to check out their website midwestmission.org
and/or their Facebook page
. In 2020, they distributed $10.8 million worth of supplies, up from $3.5 million in 2019 – and their number of volunteers/ because of Covid was 70% less! Wow!! That the Holy Spirit is at work, for sure.
Basic info, sent in a trifold earlier this year, as well as this info is posted on the conference website. You will want to refer to it. Please use only 2021 information
. This communique has the specifics for packing kits, completing your remittance form, and delivery and schedule info for the actual Ingathering day, Saturday, November 6, 2021.
PACKING AND TALLYING INSTRUCTIONS
DOUBLE CHECK YOUR KITS
– all of them, even if you’re positive they’re right. Be sure each kit has ONLY items requested and has ALL items requested, in the sizes requested. It’s a great idea to check the videos for assembly instructions on the Midwest Mission Distribution Center (MMDC) webpage, the Midwest Mission Kits
tab. Yes, the kits all need to be identical. Don’t improvise.
– MMDC wants to send blessings with the kits. A prayer card template is included with this mailing, and also on the website, www.iaumc.org/Ingathering
. Ask individuals in your congregation to sign, and place one in each and every kit. Ask your pastor to bless all the kits during worship after they are assembled.
- no handprints, footprints, paw prints, or camouflage on fabrics, new fabric only.
- Student kit – 1-handle bag, (pattern on MMDC web page) or use a clean regular plastic grocery bag, tied shut. No Ziplocs. Pencil sharpeners - $.50 each size, preferred over the 6/$1 ones. Student scissors may have slight point or be round. Metric and inches on a flat ruler. 12 sharpened colored pencils. 6 regular unsharpened lead pencils – no advertising. Be careful of prints on pencils (prefer solid color).
- Personal dignity kits – note the size of shampoo and deodorant. Yes, there are NO band-aids, combs, nail files, clippers, or toothpaste. These items are to be purchased in bulk with the $2 you send in addition to $2 shipping.
- Layettes - diaper pattern is on the website. You may also purchase cloth diapers. Sweaters and gowns should be 0-6m sizes, no larger, with no ties or buttons. 4 diaper pins inside, and 2 more used to fasten the kit. Please send $2 for diaper cream, in addition to $2 shipping. This is different from layettes in the past. Specifics are on the brochure/website.
- Feminine hygiene kits – This newer kit is greatly appreciated overseas. Pads are NOT the disposable kind we use is the U.S. Pattern on the MMDC website; instructions are very specific. Ask your rep if you have questions. Items go in the 1-handle bag.
* Note: MMDC kits may be different than in the past, and may change for 2022 – clients have input, and changes are made each December. We are asking for MMDC kits only, not UMCOR. Use the list on iaumc.org/ingathering. This list was correct as of 02/01/21. Disregard all old lists from prior years. Throw old books away, please.
YOU NEED TO PROVIDE YOUR OWN BOXES TO PACK KITS INTO
- How big? Can one person lift and carry the filled box? That’s the right size. Paper boxes or apple boxes are great. Paper towel boxes, not so good (too thin and too big). Tape the bottom securely; fill each box with the same kind of kit, packing in as tightly as possible. Close the top. Tape closed. On the outside, tape a paper or write in marker this info:
Name of church and town Sample → Grace UMC, Sioux City
Church number xxxxxxxxxxxx your church office has this.
Number and kind of kits 15 personal dignity kits
- What if I have a mixed assortment of kits that will fill one box? You may combine kits to keep boxes tight. List on the outside the number and kind of EACH that’s inside.
- What if I have extra kit items, (27 pencils, 10 rulers, etc.) and don’t want to carry them over? Make a loose items box. Write out an inventory – what and how many – and do NOT enclose the list in the box. Tape your box closed and label with church name, town, and write loose items. At check-in, someone from the site team will calculate the value of all the items from a list we have and add that value to your in-kind total. Keep this box separate at check-in so it can be processed. Don’t tally box F or the total on the remittance form until this is done onsite.
- I see other items that Midwest Mission accepts listed on their website (treadle sewing machines, etc.) Can I bring them? ONLY if you’ve let your site coordinator know in advance. Call or email. There may not be room in the trailer.
ON NOVEMBER 6, 2021 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
You may drop off at the site of your choice. Sites are not by districts; go where it’s convenient. ALL boxes will go directly into the trucks; no repacking. Be sure every box is taped closed, top and bottom when you leave home.
Cedar Falls site – First UMC, 718 Clay St.
Coordinator - Jan Benson
Cherokee site – St Paul’s UMC, 531 W Main St.
Coordinator - Sally Wilkie
Greenfield site –Greenfield UMC, 108 SW 5th
Coordinator - Marilyn Schirman
Mount Pleasant site – First UMC, 309 N. Main
Coordinator - Judy Brotherton
Webster City site – Asbury UMC, 921 Des Moines St.
Coordinator - Tami Hejlik
You’ll drive up to the site, and can remain in your vehicle. At the check-in point, you’ll be asked for your remittance form and loose items
list, and one check made to Mission Ingathering for shipping
($2/kit), plus any kit supplemental
(diaper cream, toothpaste, etc.), and
all cash gifts to agencies listed and/or MMDC. (Box A)
The remittance form must include a phone number and
email of the person who can answer questions
about your boxes that Saturday,
not the church info. The check-in team will verify info, calculate the values of those loose items,
calculate/recheck totals, and initial your copy of the remittance form before you leave.
Please bring your own duplicate copy so you can make corrections for your records.
You will be directed on how and where to unload your boxes. There likely will be help. Once you’ve turned in your paperwork and check, and your vehicle is unloaded, you are finished. Your site coordinator can tell you about any additional activities planned (worship, coffee, rolls, etc.). Covid is making it difficult to firm up those plans right now.
The 2021 remittance form is here
. It’s also available as a fillable PDF here
. Please use ONLY the 2021 form. (Values on older forms are incorrect.) We’ve enclosed a sample form, with arrows and notes to help you. On the flip side is the actual blank form. Please complete, bring original to leave, and a hard copy we’ll initial at check-in for your records. Coordinators, treasurers, and district reps can answer your questions. Just ask.
The purpose of Mission Ingathering —
to show the love of Christ to the world’s people by ministering to their needs. Times have changed. Methods and means may change. The work of being in mission continues. God bless you all!
Your IAUMC Ingathering Team.